Founded in May 1998, then restructured in 2018. Action for Kids is a California nonprofit public benefit corporation that seeks to enhance the lives of all people and decrease child abuse, violence, crime, isolation & suicide issues through community connections and actions in Antelope Valley.
We are one of twelve Los Angeles County Community Child Abuse Prevention Councils (CAPC) and part of ICAN. We support, collaborate and partner with all organizations in the Antelope Valley and beyond, that address child abuse and prevention issues.
In 2022, the Council was renamed, Action for Kids – Council for Prevention of Child Abuse, Serving SPA 1. Antelope Valley!
Mission Statement – The Action for Kids AV mission is to improve upon the safety and well-being of children and families at risk for child abuse and neglect by linking them to outreach, education, information and resource systems and to raise public awareness of child abuse issues
Our Goals and Objectives
- Empower a community to live well and be stronger in the protective factors for the prevention of child abuse, domestic violence, human trafficking, and crime by connecting people to resources and each other.
- To provide a forum for professional and community members to learn more about the issues of child abuse and neglect and how these issues affect the families of Antelope Valley.
- To afford an opportunity to voice concerns regarding child abuse and neglect in an appropriate forum in which resolutions to the problems may be developed.
- To be a clearing house for the dissemination of information about child abuse prevention, identification and treatment.
- To provide a place for personal and professional support for those concerned with child welfare issues & strengthening the family.
- To provide an opportunity for students, seniors and those needing volunteer hours to obtain them while helping children live in love.
- Child Abuse Prevention Month – Kick Off
- Stand 4 Kids (Summer & Winter)
- Mandated Reporter or other Training (Spring and Fall)
- Annual Child Abuse Prevention Contest
- Annual Contest Awards Event
- ICAN Art Contest — February
- Darion Wheat/Child Abuse Awareness Walk — End of April
- Annual Fund Raising Event
- Yearly collaborations with community partners to improve outcomes for families and children of all ages. This includes Children’s Bureau, LACo Department of Mental Health, Best Start, AVPH, Tarzana Treatment Centers, City of Palmdale, City of Lancaster, City of Lake LA, LACo Department of Children & Family Services, City of Palmdale Sheriff Department, and many more. We look forward to partnering and working with you.
4th Monday of each month 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm Virtual.
Council Chairperson: Valerie Mainella
Phone: (661) 208-1425
Visit Action for Kids on Facebook for more information about our events and meetings!