The Asian and Pacific Islander Children, Youth and Family Council is dedicated to advocating on behalf of Asian and Pacific Islander (API) children, youth and families in the Los Angeles County. Formerly the Asian Pacific Child Abuse Council, it was formed in September 1985, when Asian and Pacific Islander service providers, both private and public, from mental health and other related disciplines, came together with their counterparts within DCFS to advocate against child abuse and neglect in Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
The goals of the Council are to:
- organize and maintain a network of professionals who advocate for issues concerning API communities;
- facilitate communication and relationship between community-based organizations and local public entities (e.g., Interagency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect, Children’s Planning Council, Los Angeles Community Child Abuse Council);
- support the advancement of child abuse prevention and treatment programs to meet the needs of API communities;
- provide a forum for professional growth and development;
- provide a clearinghouse for information via dissemination of relevant materials;
- and promote research to identify needs, issues, values, and culturally appropriate services unique to API communities;
Projects & Trainings
In previous years, API-CYFC has conducted small workshops and large training conferences focusing on various topics related to child abuse prevention such as cyber addiction and safety, shared core practice model, the protective factors, etc.
In 2016, the API-CYF Council conducted four different events hosted by four of our member agencies; Asian Pacific Family Center (APFC), Chinatown Service Center (CSC), Koreatown Youth & Community Center (KYCC) and Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC). The activities combined address all five of the protective factors.
API-CYFC meets every other month on the 2nd or 3rd Friday of the month.
Location varies and is hosted by member agencies.
Member agency websites:
Chinatown Service Center (CS)
Koreatown Youth & Community Center (KYCC)
Little Tokyo Service Center
National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse
Pacific Clinics – Asian Pacific Family Center (APFC)
Korean American Family Services (KFAM)
Center for the Pacific Asian Family
Cambodian Association of America